Maybe you have a wonderful idea for a novel or would like to share your knowledge in a non-fiction book. Writing a book is a fabulous way to promote your business by showing how knowledgeable you are about your area of expertise.
Up until fairly recently authors had very little choice when it came to publishing. There were two routes – either approach a publisher, or to self-publish. The latter seemed to be the domain of people who had written obscure works that no publisher would touch.
Fortunately the marketplace has changed and publishing via a company which specialises in helping independent authors has become a viable option for authors.
Traditional versus self/assisted publishing
• The media love stories of authors being given huge advances. The reality is very different, advances are generally small and are offset against future sales of which the author earns 10% of the cover price.
• When you eventually find a publisher to take your book, the process of producing it takes at least a year. They buy the rights to your book and will edit and design the cover to suit their budget and house style. All control is taken out of your hands.
Print on demand options as well as online e-book sellers have dramatically changed the publishing world. Why give a publishing house your book and let them make all of the money out of it when you’ve put all of the hard work in?
Publish independently and the whole selling price goes into your pocket.
• With self or shared publishing, you have total control over the contents, design and appearance of the book.
• Once you have finished the manuscript you can have a finished book; hardcover, paperback or e-book for sale within days.
The choice is yours
• Are you willing to gamble and hope you will earn a large advance from a publisher? Or is control of your manuscript and finances more important?
• There is no reason why you shouldn’t be one of the lucky authors who get a multi-million advance – but equally, there is no reason why you can’t sell a million copies of your own book and earn the whole of the cover price.
A company specialising in working with independent authors will help
Sounds very simple, but all of the jobs the traditional publisher would do, such as editing, cover design and marketing will need to be professionally done.
• The book market is very competitive.
• Your book must be as good as it can possibly be.
• It is vitally important your book is properly edited and presented. A poor book complete with editing and formatting errors will put off future readers.
• A company who specialise in assisting independent authors will be able to help with promotion – vital for sales.
Oh! Did I mention Lavender and White Equestrian Publishing – we specialise in equestrian fiction and non-fiction and are always looking for authors and new writers to work with. Please contact us at email@example.com