Ten reasons why you should publish independently
Authors used to have very little choice when it came to publishing. There were two routes – either approach a publisher, a long, slow, often heart breaking process, or to self-publish. The latter seemed to be the domain of people who had written obscure works that no publisher would touch.
Fortunately this has changed and the balance has tipped in the favour of the author. Self-publishing via a company which specialises in helping independent authors has become a viable option.
Here are ten very good reasons why you should self-publish with the help of an independent company who offers editorial and design services for authors.
1) The media love stories of authors being given huge advances. The reality is very different, advances are generally small and are offset against future sales of which the author earns 10% of the cover price.
2) When you eventually find a publisher to take your book, the process of producing it takes at least a year. They buy the rights to your book and will edit and design the cover to suit their budget and house style. All control is taken out of your hands.
3) When you chose to self- publish, you have total control over the contents, design and appearance of the book.
4) Once you have finished the manuscript you can have a finished book; hardcover, paperback or e-book for sale within days, instead of the year or more that traditional publishing takes.
5) There is no reason why you shouldn’t be one of the lucky authors who get a multi-million advance – but equally, there is no reason why you can’t sell a million copies of your own book and earn the whole of the cover price.
6)With self-publishing the jobs the traditional publisher would do, such as editing, cover design and marketing need to be professionally done, but by working with an independent company who provides these services you are assured of producing a book that is as good, of not better than a traditional publisher can produce..
7) Maybe you have a wonderful idea for a novel or would like to share your knowledge in a non-fiction book. Writing a book is a fabulous way to promote your business by showing how knowledgeable you are about your area of expertise.
8) Why give a publishing house your book and let them make all of the money out of it when you’ve put all of the hard work in? Publish independently and the whole selling price goes into your pocket.
9) With self- publishing you are in the driving seat when it comes to book promotion – vital for sales.
10) Are you willing to gamble and hope you will earn a large advance from a publisher? Or is control of your manuscript and finances more important
Oh! Did we mention Lavender and White Publishing – we specialise in working with authors who are self-publishing fiction and non-fiction and are always looking for new writers to work with. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org